Unofficial Dragons Site

Home - Jubilee Avenue
Team & Player Stats
Players Since 1921
Tipping Comp

Jubilee Avenue Forum
To Join: Go to UserCP > Group Memberships > Join Group > Request is sent to Moderators.
NB: 20 Post minimum.

LU Dragons Forum
(League Unlimited forum)

St George E-Group

2007 Season In Review

Player & Crowd Pics
Saints Footy Cards
Players Since 1921
Songs & Chants
Macca's Sign Making

Dragon Army Online
Melbourne Supporters
Queensland Supporters
About Us

St George 1921-2008
EST 1921
Since 1921
Our Proud History History of the Dragons

Find out all about the history of the Dragons since 1921
DRAGONS HISTORY The St George Illawarra Dragons Football Club
Since 1921 Our Proud History This page under construction - more profiles and pictures to be added soon.
Key:NB: 'games' are all appearances including matches played as replacement or interchange.
pts = pointst = tries (worth 3 pts up and including 1982, 4 pts from 1983)g = goals (worth 2 pts)fg = field goals (worth 2 pts up to and including 1970 and often called a 'goal' by staticians, 1 pt from 1971)
Early years: 1921 to post warThe Golden Years: 1950s to 1960sNew times: 1971-1992Modern times: 1993-beyond
Herb Gilbert Snr

1921, 8 games. 1t (3pts).
Centre. Captain-coach in 1921.
NSW rep (1911-12 & 1919).
Aust rep (1911-12 & 1919-20).
Dual international and first captain and coach of St George.
A veteran of 33 years, Gilbert was regarded as one of the greatest centres in the first half of the 20th century. His inspiration and experience brought instant respect to the new club.
George 'Bluey' Carstairs

1921-29, 79 games. 11t, 79g (191pts).
Centre. Captain in 1924.
Aust rep (1921-22).
Scored first try for St George in first grade and was the first junior from the St George district to be selected for Australia, playing in two Tests.
At the centre of the infamous 'Earl Park Riot' in 1928.
Top first grade point scorer for club in 1922, 1924 & 1925.
Albert 'Rickety' Johnston

1921-22, 9 games. (0pts)
Five eighth. Half back. Captain in 1922.
NSW rep (1920-21).
Aust rep (1919-22).
A Balmain junior and captain of Australia (1920), Johnston was St George's first Test player when he played at Leeds on the Kangaroo tour of 1921-22.
Clarrie Tye

1921-27, 81 games. 11t (33pts).
Prop forward. Captain in 1923.
NSW rep (1919 & 1921).
Clarrie Tye brought a wealth of experience to St George. A tough and durable front rower, Tye was one of Saints' best players from 1921-27. In a career of many highlights, he scored the match winning try in Saints first ever home game at Hurstville Oval in May 1921.
Arthur 'Snowy' Justice

1922-32, 113 games. 11t (33pts).
Hooker. Captain in 1928, 1929 and 1930.
NSW rep (1925-29).
Aust rep (1928-30).
Played in historic scoreless draw in third Test on 1929-30 Kangaroo tour. Rugged front rower and determined rake went on to become St George secretary manager in 1950s and 60s. Was also Chairman of the NSW judiciary.
Ernie 'Curly' Lapham

1921-24 & 1929, 53 games. 11t (33pts).
Forward. Winger.
NSW rep (1925-28?).
Rated at the time as the fastest forward in the game.
Played in the forwards in 1921 but switched to winger in 1922.
Ernie Lapham was still alive in 1999 (age 97) in a Brisbane nursing home and was regarded as the only surviving member of the original 1921 team.
Arnold Traynor

1922-28 &1930, 97 games. 28t, 46g (176pts)
Five eighth. Captain in 1925 and 1926.
First clubman to play 100 grade games for St George.
Played a brilliant individual game against Souths at the SCG in 1926 and was the club's top first grade point scorer in same year. Played in Saints' first premiership-deciding final in 1927 and was involved in the Earl Park Riot of 1928. Played in the famous runners up side of 1930.
Aubrey 'Jockey' Kelly

1924-28, 52 games. 13t, 1g (41pts).
Lock forward. Vice-captain in 1927.
NSW rep (1926-27).
St George junior and one of the game's hardest tacklers. Played in Saints' first premiership-deciding final in 1927.
Described as, "almost universally the greatest forward in Australia, and one of the greatest the league code has produced. He was greatest as a destroyer and some of his diving tackles will never be forgotten..."
Reg Fusedale

1921-22, 17 games. 7g (14pts).
A ballboy in the famous NZ 'All Golds' v NSW match of 1907 and a Lifesaver who saved at least five people from drowning. Also a cricketer and ex-RU NSW rep. Retired at 32 and elected as St George club secretary. But pulled on the boots again at North Sydney when Saints were a player short, and played out the 1922 season as club secretary-player.
Frank 'Chunky' Burge

1927, 16 games. 9t (27pts).
Lock forward. Captain-coach in 1927.
NSW rep (1912, 1915, 1919-20 & 1926).
Aust rep (1914 & 1920-22).
Greatest try scoring forward ever. Holds record for most tries in one match (8 tries for Glebe) and most first grade career tries for a forward (146 tries, surpassed in 2004 by Manly lock S. Menzies who played many games as centre). Innovative and professional, Burge led Saints to their maiden final (eventual runners up) in 1927.
Percy Fairall

1928-30 & 1932-37, 92 games. 21t, 4g (71pts)
Hooker. Lock forward. Captain in 1935.
NSW rep (1935-36).
Aust rep (1935-38).
St George junior.
Hospitalised in 1933 during Saints' post-season tour of New Zealand.
Captained St George when they demolished Canterbury by a record 91-6 in 1935.
Played and NSW for making his Test debut against NZ in 1935, playing in all three Tests..
Played 155 games, 92 in the firsts, and was the first Saints' player to surpass 150 games in all grades.
Fred 'Yappy' Gardner

1929-35, 82 games. 38t, 8g (130pts).
NSW rep (1933-34).
Aust rep (1933).
St George junior from Hurstville Public School and the Hurstville United club.
Fred Gardner was the club's top try scorer in 1934 (11tries) and scored 13 tries in 20 matches on Kangaroo Tour of 1933.
Played in the record 91-6 demolition of Canterbury in 1935.
Harry 'Mick' Kadwell

1931-34, 46 games. 8t, 61g (146pts).
Utility back. Played halfback, five eighth and fullback. Captain-coach in 1931. Captain in 1933 and 1934.
NSW rep (1928-30 & 1932 & 1934).
Aust rep (1929-30).
Top first grade point scorer for club in 1931, 1933 and 1934.
Broke his leg early in the 1932 but came back to guide Saints to the 1933 premiership-deciding final, going down 18-5 to Newtown. In 1934, Kadwell played a tremendous season and gained NSW selection before retiring.
Norm Tipping

1932-33, 1936 & 1943-44, 25 games. 1t, 1g (5pts).
Winger. Centre. Five Eighth. Fullback.
St George RU convert, Tipping had a horror run with injuries which included a broken back in 1936.
Coached St George in the 1950s and was the coach when Saints won the 1956 Grand Final which commenced their 11 year reign as premiers.
He was ruthlessly sacked as coach at the conclusion of the 1956 season to make way for Ken Kearney but remained with the club as the Presidents Cup coach despite offers from Wests.
One of the most passionate club men to ever come out of St George, Norm Tipping passed away in 2002.
Len 'Deacon' Kelly

1933-44, 180 games. 59t (161pts).
Second row forward. Captain-coach in 1942.
St George junior and described as the 'undisputed champion of club football', Played in the Grand Final victory of 1941. Played 205 grade games, 180 in first grade, which was a club record at the time. Became Australian selector in 1956, vice president of the NSWRL and president of the St George club from 1962-77.
An extremely influential figure, Len Kelly was an important factor in the greatness of St George.
Les Griffin

1935, 14 games. 7t, 52g (125pts).
NSW rep (1930-31).
Scored 36 points (2 tries, 15 goals) in Saints' 91-6 thrashing of Canterbury in 1935, a competition match points record in it's day and a club record* , later equaled by Jack Lindwall in 1947.
Griffin holds competition record of 15 goals in one match, held jointly with Easts' Dave Brown.
Jack Lindwall

1938-44 & 1946-49, 133 games. 110t, 99g (528pts).
Centre. Winger.
St George junior (Arncliffe Scots) and bother of Ray Lindwall.
Brilliant attacking back scored 28 points (against University) in just his second game for Saints' third grade in 1937.
Holds club record of six match tries against Manly in 1947 and equaled Les Griffin's match points scoring record of 36 first grade points in the same game.*
Scored five tries or more for Saints on five other occasions. Was the club's top point scorer in first grade in 1946, 1947 and 1948.
Represented Combined Sydney in 1941, 1942 and 1943.
Played in 1941 Grand Final victory as well as the 1942 and 1946 grand finals.
Scored 110 first grade tries, at the time a club record.
Albie McAndrew

1938-43, 69 games. 17t (51pts).
NSW rep (1940).
St George junior from the Brighton Seagulls club.
Joining Saints as a 17 year old in 1938, Albie McAndrew possessed a superb sidestep and turn of pace. One of the smallest men to play the game, Albie has been has been rated alongside Billy Smith and Bob Bugden as one of the best half backs to ever play for the Dragons.
Played in Saints first grand final win in 1941.
World War II interrupted his rep career.
In all, McAndrew played 101 all grade games with Saints, and played first grade with no other club.
Charlie 'Saus' Hazelton

1939-40, 26 games. 27t (81pts).
NSW rep (1937).
Aust rep (1937-38).
Port Kembla junior.
The first international from the Illawarra district. Scored two tries in his only Test match against NZ.
Scored 17 tries in his first season with St George.
Representative career cut short by war.
Returned to play with Port Kembla.
Passed away in 1985, returning from a St George v Illawarra match.
Neville Smith

1939-41 & 1943, 59 games. 15t, 118g (281pts).
Second row forward.
Qld rep (1938).
NSW rep (1940-41).
Brisbane Valleys junior.
In 1939 and at 22 years of age, Neville Smith was appointed first grade captain-coach, the youngest ever in the history of the club.
In 1940, he captained NSW.
Denied playing for Australia due to the outbreak of WWII
In 1941, Smith led St George to their first premiership. He was knocked out but recovered to score 13 points in Saints' 31-14 victory over Easts.
Ray Lindwall

1940 & 1942-43 & 1946, 31 games. 2t, 115g (236pts).
St George junior and brother of Jack Lindwall.
In 1941, Rugby League News described Ray Lindwall as a 'fine footballer and a magnificent cricketer'.
In 1942, he scored 143 first grade points (1t, 70g) and was rated the best fullback in the game.
Lindwall played in the 1942 grand final before joining international Cricket. He was flown back from a tour of India to play in the 1946 grand final, his last game for Saints.
Went on to further greatness in Australian cricket as a strike fast bowler in 'Bradman's Invincibles' (1948). Eventually capturing 200 Test wickets, Ray Lindwall captained Australia following Don Bradman's retirement.
Doug McRitchie

1942-44 & 1946-50, 81 games. 25t (75pts).
Centre. Captain in 1947-48.
NSW rep (1948 & 1950).
Aust rep (1948-50).
St George junior who never played the lower grades, going straight into first grade.
Served in New Guinea and like many players, his career was affected by WW2.
A popular and robust player, McRitchie was a hero in the Red V as well as the green and gold. He made the initial break that led to Ron Roberts' famous Ashes winning try in 1950.
Went on to captain-coach Queanbeyan in 1951 after accepting what was then the biggest contract offered to a Sydney based player.
Herb Narvo

1946, 13 games. 3t, 8g (25pts).
Forward. Captain-coach in 1946.
NSW rep (1938-39).
Aust rep (1937-38).
Served in the RAAF as fitness instructor during second world war and brought his fitness regime to Saints. A cricketer, boxer, cyclist and captain of St George, Herb led a young Dragons side to the club championship and grand final in 1946.
Herb Narvo was an Australian Heavyweight Boxing champion and during the post war period, he was a household name in Sydney. Herb eventually lost his boxing title in 1946 but got up the next day to lead St George in the grand final.
'Fearless' Frank Facer

1947-50, 74 games. 2t (6pts).
Hooker. Club secretary (1956-77).
Played in 1949 Grand Final victory.
The game's most successful administrator, Frank Facer is credited with securing a number of champion players into the Dragons' ranks, including Graeme Langlands.
As club secretary, Facer saw St George to 12 premierships (1956-66 & 77) during a reign which lasted over two decades.
Noel Pidding

1947-53, 104 games. 34t, 248g (598pts).
Fullback. Winger.
NSW rep (1947-48 & 1950-52).
Aust rep (1948 &1950-54).
Maitland junior.
One of the greatest post-war backs to play the game, Pidding was a winger in Saints grand final win in 1949.
Country rep scored a record of 27 points (1t + 12g) in 1950.
He scored 228 pts (22 matches) on the 1952-53 Kangaroo tour which was second only to the great Dave Brown who scored 258pts (32 matches).
The club's top point scorer in 1950 (116pts), 1951 (200pts),1952 (97pts) and 1953 (115pts), Noel Pidding scored 698 points in all grades, 598 in first grade, posting a club record.
During the first Test v Great Britain (SCG) in 1954, he scored an Australian record of 19 pts (1t, 18g).
Returning to Maitland (1954) before playing with Easts (1955-56), Noel Pidding was rated by Norm Provan as the greatest winger he had played with or against.
Matt McCoy

1948-52, 65 games. 26t, 65g (208pts).
NSW rep (1949).
Aust rep (1949).
Originally from Bega, Matt McCoy is rated as one of the best centres to wear the red and white.
Kicked seven goals for City over Country during heavy rain in 1949.
Now honoured in the Legend's Walk at Kogarah Jubilee, McCoy capped off a great year when he played in Saints' 1949 premiership winning side.
Billy 'Captain Blood' Wilson

1948-49, 1952-56 & 1958-62, 171 games. 17t, 1g (53pts).
NSW rep (1960 & 1963).
Aust rep (1959-60 & 1963).
Billy Wilson's exploits and reputation for toughness are legendary.
Called 'captain blood' because of the amount of blood he spilled for the game, Wilson was sent off in the 1953 final and then played the 1954 semi final with a broken arm and gashed eye. He eventually played in six premiership victories with St George in 1956 & 1958-62.
A St George junior, Wilson was graded at lock before taking on the job as captain-coach of Picton at only 20 years of age.
Returning to Saints, he developed into one the most uncompromising prop forwards to ever play the game.
In the 1956 Grand Final and with just 12 men on the field, Wilson was moved into the centres. Despite being out of position and carrying injuries, this is regarded as one his finest displays.
Wilson became stand-in captain in 1962 and was sent off that year's Grand Final.
Went on to captain Australia in 1963 and then led Norths to the 1965 final despite breaking a leg in the previous season.
Norman 'Johnny' Hawke

1949-52, 56 games. 8t, 3g (30pts).
Five eighth. Captain.
NSW rep (1948-51).
Aust rep (1948-49).
Captained St George to victory in the 1949 Grand Final over South Sydney. Hawke led masterfully and controlled all aspects of the match.
Souths only got back into the contest when Hawke was forced from the field with injury. Hawke returned and set up the play for victory.
'Johnny' Hawke was dubbed 'man of the match' and 'the player's player'.
Ron Roberts

1949-51, 51 games. 51t (153pts).
NSW rep (1949).
Aust rep (1949-50).
Ron Roberts was competition's leading try scorer in 1949 and 1950. Scored two tries in Saints' Grand Final win in 1949.
Remembered for scoring the try which won the 1950 Test series, bringing the Ashes to Australia for the first time since 1920. Rated by a Rugby League Week poll as the single greatest moment in the game's history.
More: Ron Roberts profile
Doug Fleming

1949-53, 1955-57, 120 games. 12t, 280g, 1fg (598pts).
Graded as a 17 year old in 1947.
Played in 1949 Grand Final victory.
Fleming was the season's top point scorer in 1955 with 185 pts (1t, 91g) and again in 1956 with 189 pts (3t, 90g). He was also the club's top point scorer in first grade in 1957 with 110 pts (2t, 52g).
Played in another Grand Final victory in 1956 before retiring in 1957.
His 598 first grade points was a club record, also held by Noel Pidding. The record would later be broken by Brian Graham in 1964.

*18 June 2002: Jersey Flegg (third grade) back Wes Naiqama has secured a club record by scoring 38 points. Naiqama crossed for five tries and kicked nine goals from as many attempts to surpass the joint record of 36 points held by Les Griffin and Jack Lindwall.
Griffin scored two tries and kicked 15 goals in 1935 while playing for St George and Lindwall made his mark with six tries and nine goals in 1947 while also donning the ‘Red V’.
Ref: click here.

Norm 'Sticks' Provan

1951-65, 269 games. 63t, 1g (191pts).
Second row forward. Captain-coach from 1962-65 and non-playing coach in 1968.
NSW rep (1954-61).
Aust rep (1954 & 1956-60).
A Sutherland junior, Norman Provan was graded into the St George ranks in 1950.
In a career of 16 seasons, 'Sticks' played in an amazing 10 consecutive grand final victories, an unique record.
Arguably the best back rower to ever play the game, Provan played in 14 Tests in a career which was interupted by his own commitments to provide for family and business.
In 1963, he and Arthur Summons (Wests) were immortalised in John O'Gready's award winning photo, 'The Gladiators' which later became the model for the premiership trophies of the 1990s and into the 21st century.
In 2005, Norm Provan's portrait hangs proudly near the main entrance to St George Leagues Club.
Tommy Ryan

1951-53 & 1955-58, 94 games. 81t (243pts).
Centre. Winger.
Aust rep (1952-53).
Originally from Inverell, Ryan represented NSW against the American 'All Stars' in 1953.
A prolific try scorer, Tommy Ryan scored 24 tries in 20 matches whilst on tour with the 1952/53 Kangaroos. He played in the 1956 and 1957 Grand Final victories and was the competition's leading try scorer in 1956 (19 tries) and 1957 (26 tries, in just 19 matches); the latter standing as a club record until 2001 when Nathan Blacklock scored 27 tries for the season.
'Killer' Ken Kearney

1952-61, 153 games. 18t, 2g (58pts).
Hooker. Captain-coach 1953-1955, captain in 1956 and captain-coach again in 1957-1961. Remained as coach in 1962.
NSW rep (1953 & 1955-58).
Aust rep (1952-58).
Rugby Union convert, serving with the RAAF in WW2 before representing the Wallabies in seven Tests. He then switched to Rugby League whilst in England.
Played with Leeds from 1948 then joined St George in 1952.
A ruthless professional and champion hooker, 'Killer' instigated revolutionary coaching methods captaining Saints to six Grand Final victories from 1956-61.
Played in the 1953 grand final as captain-coach and remained in the dual role until 1956 when Norm Tipping became coach with Kearney as captain in that Grand Final winning year. Kearney took back the captain-coach role in 1957.
A giant in the history of Australian Rugby League, 'Killer' led by example captaining Australia in 1956-57 before a knee injury forced him into retirement in 1962.
Passed away 18 August 2006, aged 82, following a heart attack on the Gold Coast, Queensland. Article link: click here
Kevin Brown

1953-61, 135 games. 33t (99pts).
Prop forward.
NSW rep (1957-58).
Great club man who only played first grade with the Dragons. Played in Grand Final victories of 1956 and 1957, scoring a try in the 1956 decider.
Bob 'Bugs' Bugden

1954-61, 135 games. 57t (171pts).
NSW rep (1960&64).
Aust rep (1959-60).
Originally from Murwillumbah. Bobby Bugden played in six Grand Final victories and has been rated as one of the best scrum halves the club has produced.
Kevin O'Brien

1954-58, 65 games. 38t, 16g, 1fg (148pts).
Utility back. Played fullback, centre, winger and five eighth.
NSW rep (1956).
Aust rep (1956-57).
From Inverell. Gifted with a good change of pace and and excellent hip 'bump', Kevin scored 14 tries in 1955 and 15 tries in 1956. Played as centre and scored a try in Saints 18-12 Grand Final victory over Balmain in 1956.
Brian Graham

1955 & 1957-62 & 1964, 114 games. 20t, 287g (634pts).
NSW rep (1959).
Played in five Grand Final wins (1957-61) and was the club's leading point scorer in 1960, 1961, 1962 and 1964, surpassing Doug Fleming's club record of 598 points.
A popular fullback, Graham brought a roar of approval from the Kogarah crowd when in 1964, he drop-kicked a penalty goal from half-way.
Overseas work commitments disrupted Graham's football career, creating an opening for Graeme Langlands.
Brian 'Poppa' Clay

1957-67, 183 games. 33t (99pts).
Five eighth. Lock forward. Centre.
NSW rep (1957 & 1959).
Aust rep (1957& 1959-60).
Newtown junior came to Saints in 1957. He was moved to five eighth in 1958 and soon gained a reputation as a fearless defender and excellent ball distributor. Played in no less than eight Grand Final victories for Saints during their golden era.
'Poppa', so named because of his bald pate, was widely regarded as one of the best and toughest pivots to ever play for St George.
Eddie Lumsden

1957-66, 158 games. 136t, 17g (442pts).
NSW rep (1957 & 1959-63).
Aust rep (1959-63).
Kurri Kurri junior.
Scoring 100 tries in 100 games by 1963, Eddie Lumsden became only the second post-war player to reach a century of premiership tries (Souths and Wollongong winger, Ian Moir being the first).
Scored a hat-trick of tries in the 1959 Grand Final.
The competition's leading try scorer in 1958 (18 tries) and 1962 (21 tries), the champion right flanker played in nine grand final wins.
Harry Bath 'The Old Fox'

1957-59, 60 games. 10t, 240g (510pts).
Hooker. Second row forward.
Qld rep (1945). NSW rep (1946-47).
Graded with Brisbane Souths when only 16-years-old and played for Qld and NSW before turning 21.
Played for premiers Balmain before joining Warrington (UK) where he played over 500 games in nine seasons, including the 1950 Challenge Cup Final when he captained Warrington to victory in front of then record crowd of 106,000 people.
Bath joined Saints in 1957 after Balmain rejected him because of his age. He then played in three Grand Final victories (1957-59) thus posting a unique record of never playing in a premiership losing side in Sydney. He was sent off in the 1959 Grand Final.
Arguably best player not to represent Australia, Harry Bath holds a number of point scoring records:
Competition top scorer (1958, 225pts).
Competition top scorer (1959, 205pts).
St George club most goals ever in one season (1958, 108g) and most points in one season (1958, 225pts).
Harry Bath was also the club's top point scorer in 1959 with 205 points.
'The Old Fox' went on to become the sole selector of Australia's 1962 Ashes side and coached the 1968 and 1970 Australian sides to World Cup wins. He carried his aggressive forward influence into the next generation when he successfully coached a young Dragons side, dubbed 'Bath's Babes', to two Grand Final victories in 1977 and 1979.
Monty Porter

1958-65, 119 games. 13t (39pts).
Prop forward. Second row forward.
NSW rep (1960).
Monty Porter was an integral part of the St George first graders. Originally from Tamworth, he played for Southern Division club, Thirroul. He also played with Wests in 1955 before finding a home with St George.
Porter played in six Grand Final wins for the Dragons and was unlucky not to play for Australia.
Went on to captain Cronulla in 1967 and become the Sharks' club secretary. In 1983, he became one of the original members of the nine man NSWRL board of Directors.
John Riley
John Riley 1966
1959-64, 53 games + 2 repl.
22t (66pts)
NSW rep (1959). Aust rep (1959-60).
St George junior who, in 1959, spiked himself during training to give Reg Gasnier his chance in first grade. He then partnered Gasnier in the club's unbeaten run of the same year.
Also played in 1962 Grand Final.
Went on to play for Morrabbin in the Victorian RL in the mid-1960s, winning the VRL premiership in 1966.
Johnny 'Chook' Raper

1959-69, 180 games. 47t, 4g (149pts).
Lock forward. Five eighth. Captain-coach in 1969.
NSW rep (1959-61, 1963-68 & 1970).
Aust rep (1959-60, 1962-64 & 1966-68).
Australian captain and a Rugby League Immortal.
An inspirational team player, Raper is rated as the greatest lock forward to ever play the game.
In the second Test (1963-64 Kangaroo tour) at Swinton and in front of 30,843 people, Australia thrashed Great Britain 50-12. Dubbed the 'Swinton Massacre', Australia scored 12 tries. Johnny Raper played a blinder, destroying the Brits and having a hand in 9 tries. The dominance of Raper prompted former player and highly respected League commentator Frank Hyde to describe it as the greatest 80 minutes of football by any one player.
A superb attacker and rated the best cover defender in the game, John Raper played in eight Grand Final wins.
Reg 'Puff' Gasnier

1959-67, 125 games. 127t, 20g (421pts).
NSW rep (1959-65 & 1967).
Aust rep (1959-65 & 1967).
A true local junior, Reg was born in Kogarah in 1939.
Widely regarded as the greatest centre three quarter to play the game, 'Puff' possessed an amazing turn of speed that more often than not, left all in his wake.
The competition's leading try scorer in 1960 (25 tries), 1963 (24 tries) and 1964 (18 tries).
Scored two tries in the 1960 Grand Final victory and played in six premiership winning sides.
In 1962 and at just 22-years-old, Reg Gasnier became Australia's youngest ever Test captain.
Gasnier suffered a knee injury and then a broken leg while captain-coach of Australia in 1967.
At 28, he finally succumbed to another leg injury, announcing his retirement after a provincial match in Avingnon, France on December 21st, 1967.
A Rugby League 'Immortal.
Kevin 'Kandos' Ryan

1960-66, 106 games. 19t (57pts).
Prop forward, Second row forward.
NSW rep (1962-64).
Aust rep (1963-64).
Rugby Union convert originally from Queensland.
Nicknamed 'Kandos' after the cement-producing town in NSW, Ryan became a fearless competitor in Rugby League and has been rated as one of the toughest men to play the game.
In addition, Ryan was an outstanding amateur Boxer and could have competed in 1960 Rome Olympics, but he chose to join St George instead.
A dual international, Ryan played for the Wallabies and the Kangaroos as well as playing in seven Grand Final victories for St George.
Johnny King

1960-71, 191 games. 143t, 7g (443pts).
NSW rep (1963-65 & 1969-70).
Aust rep (1966-68 & 1970).
Originally from Gildranda, Johnny King's talents were recognised early and saw him brought up through the St George juniors.
Was the sole try scorer in two Grand Finals (1961 and 1964) and was the scorer of a controversial try in the mudheap that was 1963 Grand Final.
Widely regarded as one of the greatest finishers in the history of the game, Johnny King holds the club record of 143 tries in first grade. He also holds a unique record of six tries in six successive winning grand finals (1960-65), once referred to as the 'King Hits'.
Ian 'Abdul' Walsh

1962-67, 94 games. 4t (12pts).
Hooker. Captain-coach 1966-67.
NSW rep (1959-66).
Aust rep (1959-66).
Ian Walsh represented Country, NSW and Australia while playing with Western Division's Eugowra.
Australian Test captain from 1963-1964, Walsh took over from Arthur Summons to win the Ashes. He captained Australia again against France (1964), NZ (1965) and retained the Ashes in 1966.
The last captain-coach of the Golden Years, Walsh played in five Grand Final wins and was given the diffilcult task of leading St George in 1966.
Against the odds, Walsh saw the Dragons to their 11th straight Grand Final victory.
Graeme 'Changa' Langlands

1963-76, 227 games. 86t, 648g (1554pts).
Fullback. Centre. Captain-coach 1972-75.
NSW rep (1962-75).
Aust rep (1963-75).
In Rugby League circles, the name 'Langlands' is synonymous with greatness.
The last man to captain-coach Australia, Graeme Langlands has been described by some as the greatest player of all time.
Born in 1941, 'Changa' came to Saints from Wollongong following impressive displays for Country Firsts and NSW.
Initially, Wollongong agreed to release Langlands for £3000. But Saints tried to negotiate a transfer deal where the Wollongong club would be paid £1000 up front, plus £1000 every time Langlands played an international. Wollongong rejected the offer and took the £3000 one-off transfer fee instead.
History shows that Langlands represented Australia no less than 90 times, posting a record 189 points (17t, 69g) and playing in 34 Tests.
He was first selected for Australia soon after joining St George, touring with the 1963-64 Kangaroos. He scored a record 20 points (2t, 7g) in Australia's 50-12 whitewash of Great Britain in the Test match at Swinton.
He later played in four Grand Final winning sides, including 1966 when he kicked seven goals in Saints' win over Balmain.
Langlands was the competition's leading point scorer in 1971 and 1973. In an outstanding career, he was the club's top point scorer in first grade on 10 occasions: 1963 (107points), 1965 (161), 1966 (126), 1969 (166), 1970 (123), 1971 (196), 1972 (149), 1973 (183), 1974 (77), and 1975 (73).
After being recalled into the Australian side in 1974, Langlands played a magnificent match to win the Ashes and was carried aloft from the field with the huge SCG crowd chanting his name.
The greatest point scorer in the history of St George retired in 1976. In the same year, he was awarded a Member of the British Empire (MBE) medal for his contribution to Rugby League and club life.
Perhaps one of the greatest honours a player can receive is that which is bestowed upon him by his peers. In 1985, Rugby League Week arranged an Australian team reunion. Entitled, 'The Masters', it included 'the 13 best' players since 1970. Amongst them were no less than eight former Australian captains, including Graeme Langlands. When it came to the 'team photo', 'Changa' was late to take his seat and there was only one spot left, the one in the centre of the front row and the position reserved for the team captain. Those in attendance had spontaneously and unanimously decided that the captain's spot for this legendary team belonged to Graeme Langlands.
In 1999, Graeme Langlands was named a Rugby League immortal.
Billy Smith

1963-77, 233 games. 30t, 3g, 21fg [before 1971] + 23fg [1971 and after] (161pts).
Halfback. Centre. Captain and vice captain.
NSW rep (1964-65, 1967-69, 1971 &1973).
Aust rep (1964-68 & 1970).
St George junior (Mortdale Mighty Midgets and Renown) who always had the ability to play above his weight.
Started off playing in the centres but will be forever noted as one of the most competitive and tenacious halfbacks to ever play the game.
Twice winner of the Harry Sunderland medal for best Australian player in a Test series, Smith went onto captain Australia in the 1970 Rugby League World Cup.
His partnership with fullback Graeme Langlands in the 1966 Grand Final has been recorded as one of the most memorable in history with the two champions seeming to have an intuitive and unbeatable knowledge of each other's movements.
Billy Smith played in four Grand Final wins in 1963-66 and played in two losing grand finals in 1971 and 1975.
He also played in the third grade side that won the premiership in 1972 and the 1976 reserve grade Grand Final winning side.
In all, Billy Smith played 296 all grade matches which remains as a club record.
Barry Beath

1966-77, 198 games. 61t (183pts).
NSW rep (1965).
Aust rep (1965 & 1971).
Eugowra 'international' joined Saints after touring NZ with Australian side. Scored a try in 1971 grand final loss and played in the grand final loss in 1975.
A robust and quick forward, Barry Beath came on as a reserve and played in Saints' historic win in the 1977 Grand Final.
In 1999, the former forward showed his passion for the Red V in defending a young Dragons' supporter's jersey in Cronulla Leagues club. Stunned onlookers reported that Sharks' CEO Peter Gow acted without provacation when he took to the supporter's jersey with a pair of scissors. The incident cost Beath a punch in the face while Gow was subsequently forced to resign.
Dick Huddart

1964-68, 78 games + 1 repl. 16t (48 pts).
Second row forward.
Represented Great Britain. 16 Test veteran.
Noted for his powerful runs wide of the ruck.
Became the first British Test player to play in Sydney premiership winning side, scoring a try in Saints' 1966 grand final win.
Denis Preston

1966-71, 74 games. 21t, 201g (465pts).
Centre. Winger. Fullback.
Held in high regard, Preston gained selection at fullback forcing Graeme Langlands into the centres.
Club's top scorer in 1967 (6t, 73g, 164pts) and again in 1968 (7t, 83g, 187pts).
Joined Balmian in 1972 before playing out his career with Port Kembla in 1973.
Phil Hawthorne

1968-71, 56 games. 5t, 1g, 55fg [before 1971], 1fg [1971] (128pts).
NSW rep (1970).
Aust rep (1970).
Rugby Union convert, played for Wallabies in 1962 at age 18.
Captained Australia in the third Test of 1970 Ashes series.
A noted drop goal specialist, Phil Hawthorne potted the first one point field goal in a premiership match after the rule change came into effect in 1971.
Played with Easts in 1972 before becoming-coach of Coffs Harbour.
In later years, the champion pivot suffered from leukemia, but remained an inspiration to others before passing away in 1994.

Ted 'Lord Ted' Goodwin

1972-78, 116 games. 52t, 82g, 2fg (322pts).
Centre. Fullback.
NSW rep (1972-74 & 1976).
Aust rep (1972-73).
Dapto junior represented Country before joining Saints.
A brilliant attacker and rare talent, 'Lord Ted' captured the imagination of crowds whenever he played. From fullback, he scored a miraculous try in the historic 1977 drawn grand final when he broke through, then kicked ahead to dive on the ball just inside the dead ball line, knocking himself out in the process. He backed up the next week to kick six goals and a field goal as St George posted a 22-0 victory over Parramatta.
Wally Fullerton-Smith

1987-92, 79 games. 5t (20pts).
Second row forward.
Qld rep (1983-85 & 88 & 90).
Aust rep (1983-85 & 88).
Hailing from Roma (Qld) and played with Redcliffe. Also played with French club Tonneins (82-83) and UK club Leeds (84-85) before joining Saints.
A rugged, no nonsense backrower, Fullerton-Smith was selected for Australia following a great year with Saints in 1988.
Played again in France in 1993.
'Rocket' Rod Reddy

St George Dragons: 1972-83, 204 games. 65t, 1 g (198pts).
Illawarra Steelers: 1984-85, 33 games. 1t (4pts).
Lock forward. Second row forward.
NSW rep (1973 &1976-80).
Qld rep (1980).
Aust rep (1977-80 & 1982).
Originally from Rockhampton in Queensland, 'Rocket' Rod Reddy was noted for his aggressiveness in both attack and defence as he became one of the best back rowers of his generation.
A key player in the victorious teams of the late 1970s. Reddy played a big hand in the 1977 Grand Final, 1977 Grand Final replay as well as 1979 Grand Final victory; his on-field dual with Parramatta's Ray Price in the 1977 decider being the stuff of legend.
Reddy was appointed first grade coach of St George in 1996 but walked out to take up an ill-fated coaching job with Super League's Adelaide Rams.
Craig Young

1977-88, 234 games. 11t, 2fg (42pts).
Prop forward. Captain.
NSW rep (1979-82 & 1984).
Aust rep (1978-82 & 1984).
Originally a junior soccer player in the Illawarra (his father Bob represented Australia), Craig Young joined Rugby League with Corrimal and toured England with the undefeated Australian Schoolboys side of 1972.
At 20 years of age, Young linked up with St George and played in the 1977 Grand Final victory.
Selected for Australia in the 1978 Kangaroo side, Young was named 'player of the tour'.
An inspiration to his team mates, Craig Young captained St George to their 15th premiership in 1979. He then played in the 1985 grand final loss and was captain when Saints won the 1988 mid-week Panasonic Cup.
Had a brief stint as St George coach in 1990.
Steven Edge

1973-79, 103 games. 15t (45pts).
Hooker. Captain.
Combined Sydney rep vs NZ in 1976.
Regarded as one of the best rakes of the 1970s and 1980s, Steve Edge played in an amazing 11 grade grand finals sides beginning with a third grade premiership with Saints in 1972.
Highly experienced, Edge captained the 1977 Dragons' side, playing in the historic drawn Grand Final and subsequent Grand Final victory the following week.
Also played in Saints' 1979 Grand Final wining side.
Went on to further success with Parramatta, captaining them to three Grand Final wins from 1981 to 1983.
Robert Stone

1975-85, 170 games. 26t (81pts).
Front row forward. Second row forward.
NSW rep (1980).
Played 281 all-grade games for St George and won a premiership in all three grades (thirds in 1974, seconds in 1976 and firsts in 1977).
Debuted in first grade in 1975 as an 18-year-old and was part of a ruthless pack which won the 1977 premiership.
A rugged forward with pace, Stone scored a memorable runaway try in the Grand Final replay of 1977.
Played in the first State of Origin match in 1980 and in 1984, Robert Stone was the Dragons' captain 15 times out of 24 appearances that year.
Became captain-coach of Picton before returning to St George as an administrator, eventually becoming Football club CEO in 2001.
Was instrumental in the push to have the Dragons return to Kogarah Jubilee Oval in 2003.
At just 48 years of age, Robert Stone was diagnosed with tumors in 2003-2004 and passed away on 1st August 2005.
Robert Stone Tribute - click here
'Slippery' Steve Morris

1979-86, 180 games. 102t (357pts).
Halfback, winger, centre.
NSW rep (1978, 1980, 1984 & 1986).
Aust rep (1978).
Dapto junior and the last player to represent Australia from a country area.
Popular personality played in 1979 grand final winning side and was awarded the 'Dave Brown Medal' as best player.
Club's top try scorer in 1980 (11), 1982 (17), 1983 (19) and 1984 (17).
'Dally M' winger of the year in 1984 & 1987.
Graeme Wynn

1979-90, 197 games. 46t, 120g (400pts).
NSW rep (1980).
Aust rep (1980).
Originally from Werris Creek (NSW) and joined St George in 1979 after a stint with Newcastle Wests.
'Rookie of the Year' in 1979, Wynn was a noted attacking back rower who performed tremendously in the 1979 Grand Final victory.
Also played in 1985 grand final. Went on to play briefly with Wests before retiring at the end of 1992.
Made a cameo appearance for Saints in February 2001 as winning captain in the 'OzTag Legends of League' Final at Redfern Oval.
Steve 'Sludge' Rogers

1983-84, 29 games. 8t, 42g, 5fg (121pts).
Centre. Lock forward. Five eighth.
NSW rep (1973 & 1975-82).
Aust rep (1973, 1975, 1978-79 &1981-83).
Champion centre, played most of his career with the Cronulla Sharks. Signed with Saints in 1983 in pursuit of his personal quest to have grand final success. Played magnificently in the 1984 final despite going down to Parramatta and was unfortunately unsuccessful in the Reserve Grade grand final a week later.
Career was shortened by injury when he returned to the Sharks in 1985 only to have his jaw broken in the opening match against Canterbury. A court case for assault against Canterbury's Mark Bugden resulted.
Went on to coach Qld and Darwin before becoming an administrator at Cronulla before suddenly passing away on 3 January 2006..
Michael 'Snoz' O'Connor

1983-86, 71 games + 7 repl. 33t, 130g, 9fg (401pts).
NSW rep (1985-91).
Aust rep (1985-90).
Australian Schoolboy rep in 1977. Hailing from Canberra, O'Connor was a dual international, playing 13 Tests with the Wallabies. He alos established a number of Rugby League point scoring records at Test and Origin level.
O'Connor played a key role in Saints' charge toward the 1985 Grand Final. With most players being local juniors, it was a tremendous season as the mighty Dragons won the Club Championship and were minor premiers in all three grades as well as making their respective Grand Finals. The second and third grade Saints won on Grand Final day with only the firsts going down narrowly by 7-6 to Canterbury.
Michael O'Connor signed a lucrative deal with Manly in 1987 before going on to administration roles in both Rugby League and Rugby Union.
Steve Gearin

1983-84, 48 games. 15t, 161g (382pts).
Newtown junior (Lewisham).
Came to Saints after breaking Canterbury's club point scoring record for season 1979. He is best remembered for a try he scored for the Berries in the 1980 Grand Final. Gearin fielded a Greg Brentnall kick on the full to score just before full time.
Joined Saints in 1983-1984 and was the club's top point scorer for two years running.
1983: 8 tries, 80 goals (192 points).
1984: 7 tries, 81 goals (190 points).
Went back to Canterbury in 1985 before playing his final first grade season with Manly in 1986.
Mark Coyne

St George Dragons: 1989-98, 207 games. 56t (224pts).
St George Illawarra Dragons: 1999, 15 games. 5t (20pts)
TOTAL: 1989-1999, 222 games. 61t (242pts).
Centre. Captain.
Qld rep (1990&92-97). Aust rep (1995-97).
Played in 1992, 1993 and 1996 grand finals.
Fought back a form slump to regain his first grade spot in 1999 before injury forced him out the starting lineup for that year's grand final.
As winger, he scored the match winning try for Qld in the 1994 State of Origin against NSW. With one minute to go and trailing 12-10, the Maroons began deep in their own half. The ball went through 10 sets of hands before Coyne took the final pass to score.
Donated the proceeds of his testimonial dinner to children's charity and later spoke out in favour of the Dragons returning to Kogarah Jubilee Oval.
In 2004, Mark Coyne was named on the revamped NRL judiciary panel.
Ricky Walford

1985-96, 207 games. 104t, 229g (874pts).
NSW rep (1990)
Walgett junior. Australian schoolboy rep against NZ in 1981.
Ricky Walford was the competition's leading point scorer in 1989, Country Origin rep in 1989 and was named as a fringe candidate in the Australian squad in 1990.
Represented Aboriginal side on tour of Tonga in 1990. Scored a try in 1992 grand final and also played in the 1993 grand final.
A wonderful finisher and classy goal kicker, Walford went on to surpass 200 club games and score 972 points for the club in all grades, second only to Graeme Langlands.
A great club man and enduring figure, Ricky Walford retired in 1995 but made himself available during Saints' turbulent period of early 1996.
Always a contributor, Ricky Walford continued with community work in the St George district.
Brad Mackay

St George Dragons: 1987-94, 117 games. 22t, 13g (114pts).
Illawarra Steelers: 1996-1998, 56 games. 8t, 5g (42pts).
St George Illawarra Dragons: 1999, 24 games. 3t, 4g (20 pts).
TOTAL: 1987-1999, 197 games. 33t, 22g (176pts).
Lock forward. Centre. Five eighth.
NSW rep (1989-95).
Aust rep (1990 & 1992-93).
St George junior, Mackay scored three tries on debut for Australia in 1990.
In 1993, he became one of only two players in history to win the Clive Churchill medal in a losing grand final side.
A versatile utility player, Brad Mackay played for St George before accepting the captaincy of the Western Reds in 1995. Following the Perth club's decision to join Super League, Mackay moved back east to join Illawarra before finally coming back to Saints when the joint venture was formed in 1999.
Following a stint in the UK, Brad Mackay went on to play in Thirroul and take up a job as a Fireman.
In 2003, he was active in fund raising for the Joanne Mackay Helping Hand Foundation following the passing of wife, Joanne from breast cancer in 2002.
Paul McGregor

Illawarra Steelers: 1991-98, 124 games. 44t (176pts).
St George Illawarra Dragons: 1999 & 2001, 34 games. 13t (52pts).
TOTAL: 1991-99 & 2001, 158 games. 56t (228pts).
NSW rep (1992-95 & 1997-98).
Aust rep (1994-95).
Dapto junior, was selected for City Origin in 1991-92 before being selected for NSW.
Despite being hampered by injuries, McGregor continued to gain the eye of national and state selectors.
Returned to Saints in 2001 for one final season and later became part of the coaching staff in 2002.
Gorden 'Raging Bull' Tallis

1992-95, 54 games. 17t, 1g (70pts).
Second row forward.
Qld rep (1994 & 1998-2003. Super League tri series: 1997).
Aust rep (1998-2003. Super League: 1997)
Townsville youngster signed with Saints in 1992. The 'Raging Bull' made an immediate impact with his trademark busting runs up the middle of the ruck. Tallis played in the 1993 grand final and was selected for Queensland in 1994. During the Super League conflict, Tallis was snared by the Broncos and the Dragons refused to release him. The firey second rower opted to sit out the 1996 season rather than play out his contract with Saints. Against the odds, the Dragons went onto that year's grand final without Tallis who played Rugby Union to keep fit.
Tallis joined the powerful Brisbane side in 1997.
One of the greatest second rowers of his generation, Tallis realised a dream when he was named as Australian captain in 2002.
Retired in 2004.
Michael Potter

1989-93, 100 games. 14t (56pts).
Fullback. Team captain in 1993.
NSW rep (1984).
Winner of 'Dally M' Player of the Year in 1984 while with Canterbury and won it a second time in 1991 while with St George.
Unlucky not to be selected for Australia in 1992 after playing with the St George 1992 grand final side (surprisingly, no Saints' players gained selection despite being runners up).
Rod Wishart

Illawarra Steelers: 1989-98, 157 games. 68t, 386g (1044pts).
St George Illawarra Dragons: 1999, 13 games. 10t, 4g (48pts).
TOTAL: 1989-1999, 170 games. 78t, 390g (1092pts).
Winger. Goal kicker.
NSW rep (1990-98).
Aust rep (1991-92 & 1994-96).
Gerringong junior coached by Mick Cronin.
First Steeler's player to play in Test match.
Scored a converted try against Manly in 1992 to see his team into the semi-finals for the first time.
Was the leading point scorer on the 1994 Kangaroo tour.
At the time of the St George Illawarra joint venture, Wishart held the Steeler's club record for most tries and most points in a season (176pts in 1995) and most points in a match (22pts on four occasions).

Anthony 'Choc' Mundine

St George Dragons: 1993-96 & 1998, 83 games. 37t, 3g, 2fg (156pts).
St George Illawarra Dragons: 1999-2000, 33 games. 19t (76pts).
TOTAL: 1993-96 & 1998-2000, 126 games. 56t, 3g, 2fg (232pts).
Five eighth. Centre.
NSW rep (1999).
A St George junior (Hurstville United), Anthony Mundine will be remembered as one of the most naturally gifted yet controversial players in the history of St George.
Never short of attracting a headline, Mundine played four seasons with the Dragons before joining Brisbane in 1997 at the height of the Super League war.
Anthony returned to Saints in 1998 and was named 'player's player' for that year. In 1999, he was in electricfying form, playing a key role as Saints charged towards the Grand Final.
The son of champion boxer Tony Mundine, Anthony left Rugby League in 2000 to take up a career in professional boxing.
In 2003, Anthony Mundine defeated Antwun Echols to win the vacant world WBA Super-Middleweight championship.
Nathan Brown

St George Dragons: 1993-98, 121 games., 23t (92pts).
St George Illawarra Dragons: 1999-2000, 51 games. 9t (36pts).
TOTAL: 172 games. 32t (128pts).
Popular hooker and skilled ball player, 'Brownie' was unlucky not to gain higher representative honours. Forced to retire following a back and neck injury which revealed an unrelated congenital problem with his spinal chord.
Became lower grade coach and led his Jersey Flegg side to 2002 minor premiers and runners-up. Received a huge boost when he was appointed first grade coach in 2003, the youngest in the NRL.
Wayne Bartrim

St George Dragons: 1995-98, 83 games. 19t, 242g (560pts).
St George Illawarra Dragons: 1999-2001, 72 games. 8t, 171g (374pts).
TOTAL: 1995-2001, 155 games. 27t, 413g (934pts).
Lock forward. Hooker.
Qld rep (1995-98).
Aust rep (1995-96).
Gold Coast's highest point scorer of 1994.
Dragons highest point scorer (first grade): 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999.
A consistent goal kicker and aggressive player around the rucks, Bartrim was a more than capable match winner on his day.
Bartrim firmly declared himself a St George clubman during the ARL/SL split of 1996-97.
Went on to play for Castleford in the UK.
Nathan 'Tingha' Blacklock

St George Dragons: 1997-98, 23 games. 20t (80pts).
St George Illawarra Dragons: 1999-2002 & 2003-04, 114 games. 100t, 14g (428pts).
TOTAL: 1997-2004, 137 games. 120t, 14g (508pts).
Winger. Fullback.
Aust rep (2001).
The Competition's top try scorer: 1999, 2000, 2001.
Club's top try scorer (first grade): 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003.
Club's top point scorer (first grade): 2000.
Hailing from Tingha, NSW, Nathan Blacklock came to Saints in 1997 after making just five appearances (and scoring one try) with the Roosters in 1995.
A crowd favourite and match winner, Blacklock often left his wing to attack up the centre of the ruck.
Scored a sensational try in the 1999 grand final. While playing at fullback, 'Tingha' accelerated onto a chip kick from the opposition. He scooped up the ball, racing through a gap to score under posts 60 metres downfield.
During an outstanding season in 2001, Blacklock was controversially overlooked for NSW selection. He was selected for Australia, playing in two Tests and scoring two tries.
Following a short stint with the NSW Waratahs in Rugby Union, Blacklock made his return to the Dragons in 2003, where he was again the club's top try scorer in first grade.
At 28, Blacklock signed a two year contract with UK club Hull, beginning in 2005.
A sensational player and hugely popular, Blacklock departed with a first grade career total of 121 tries from 142 games.
Video - click here
Mark Gasnier

2000-08, 141 games. 81t, 26g (376pts).
Centre. Winger.
Aust rep (2001 & 2005-2008).
NSW rep (2004-2006 & 2008)
City Origin rep in 2001.
Born 1981 in Sydney. A St George junior (Renown United).
Scored a try on debut (vs Newcastle at Marathon, March 24, 2000) and went on to become one of the best centres in the competition before injury intervened to hamper his career.
A tremendous player of great potential, Gasnier was finally selected as centre for NSW Origin in 2004, but he was publicly dumped for sending lewd mobile phone messages whilst in Origin camp. He was then recalled into the NSW squad for third and deciding match of the series, scoring two tries and breaking his collarbone in what was his Origin debut.
2005 saw further rep honours at both Origin and Test level. Gasnier was selected in the Kangaroo Tri-Nations squad of 2005, playing in all five Tests including the Tri-Nations Final as well as a one-off match against France in Perpignan.
Gasnier exercised a get-out clause on his contract after unpaid third party sponsorship payments promised in 2006 did not eventuate.
In July 2008, Gasnier signed a lucrative two year deal with French rugby union club Stade Francais, effective in 2009.
Nephew of Reg Gasnier.
Matt Cooper*

2000-2008, 161 games. 87t (348 pts)
Centre. Winger.
NSW rep (2004-2008).
Aust rep (2004-2006).
Born in Port Kembla in 1979 and a Shellharbour junior, Matt Cooper enjoyed athletics when young and was involved with the local surf club. Weighing 92kg and standing at 188cm, Cooper posseses natural speed and took some stopping in 2003.
One of the games most underated centres, Cooper was nominated for the club's Integral Energy Dragons Medal (won by Ben Hornby) and was awarded the the club's Geoff Selby Memorial NRL Coaches Award in 2003.
Cooper was selected for Country Origin in 2003 and again in 2004.
In 2004, following a series of stand-out performances, he was finally selected for NSW in State of Origin 3 and was later named in Kangaroo squad for the 2004 Tri-Nations series, touring to the UK as well as France and the USA.
Winner of 2004 'Red V Members Player of the Year', voted by Dragons supporters.
2005 saw further rep honours at both Origin and Test level. Cooper was selected in the Kangaroo Tri-Nations squad of 2005, playing in four Tests including the Tri-Nations Final as well as a one-off match against France in Perpignan.
In 2006, Cooper was again selected for Australia, scoring a try in the Anzac test match against New Zealand. In the same year, Cooper was ruled out of State of Origin I with a hamstring injury. He was recalled into the NSW side for in Origin III.
In 2007, Cooper played all three State of Origin matches for NSW.
Also in 2007, Cooper was the leading try scorer in first grade with 11 tries. In round 12 of the same year he played a one-off match as Dragons captain (Dragons def Broncos 11-4 at Kogarah).
Cooper was also awarded the St George Bank Immortals Trophy at the 2007 club awards.
In 2008, Cooper was selected for NSW, playing in all three State of Origin clashes. He was also named in the 46-man preliminary training squad for the World Cup and was considered a likely replacement for injured Broncos centre Justin Hodges, but a groin injury forced Cooper to withdraw.
Also in 2008, Matt Cooper agreed to terms with the Dragons for a further three years, until the end of 2011.
Mark 'Pig' Riddell

2001-04, 92 games. 30t, 198g, 1fg (517pts).
Born 1980, Sydney. Canterbury junior (St Christopher’s, Panania).
First Grade Debut: Saints v Sharks, Toyota Park, February 18, 2001
Popular player with distinctive 'raised arm' whenever taking a kick - often mimicked by the crowd
Fast off the mark and an exciting dummy half runner, Riddell has scored a number of trademark tries by barging over from close range.
Club top point scorer in 2001 with 130 points (6t, 53g).
Was top scorer for the club again in 2002 with 129 points (10t, 44g, 1fg) despite being sent off twice during season, earning eight weeks on the sideline.
Gained the attention of selectors when named on the 2002 Kangaroos 'train-on' squad but was not selected in final side.
Was the club's top point scorer again in 2003 with 166 points (7t, 69g) in a year that was marked by rumours of weight and discipline problems. But Riddell answered his critics by playing all 24 games and steering Saints to victory in their final match of 2003 against the Broncos.
Riddell's consistent stand-out performances saw him selected for City Origin in 2004.
Salary cap restraints and a high demand for Riddell saw him sign with Parramatta for 2005.
Amos 'Mossy' Roberts

2000-03, 65 games. 29t, 26g (168pts).
Fullback. Winger
Born 1980, Kempsey, NSW.
Junior Clubs: Kempsey Dragons and Woodlawn.
Debut (6 May 2000, round 14) against Warriors saw Amos Roberts score a competition record of 22 points (1 try + 9 goals) to become the highest points scorer on debut in first grade.
Sidelined for much of 2003 with injury.
Roberts signed with Penrith for 2004 and was named Dally M Winger of the Year before linking up with the Roosters (2005-2008).
A Country Origin rep four times between 2004 and 2008.
He later signed with English club Wigan, beginning in 2009.
Trent 'Baz' Barrett

Illawarra Steelers: 1996-98, 45 games. 30t, 2fg (122pts).
St George Illawarra Dragons: 1999-2006, 154 games. 47t, 5fg (193pts).
TOTAL: 1996-2006, 199 games. 77t, 7fg (315pts).
Halfback. Five eighth. Captain in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006.
NSW rep (1997-2002 & 2004-2005).
Aust rep (1999-2002 & 2005).
Born in 1977 in Temora, NSW, Trent Barrett has represented NSW as well as Australia in Tests, a World Cup and a Kangaroo tour.
Part time captain of Saints in late 2001, Barrett went on to become club captain until 2006.
Barrett suffered a season-ending ankle injury in May, 2003; but not before posting his 100th game with the Dragons' joint venture.
Barrett came back in 2004 and gained selection for NSW in State of Origin 3.
Selected in 2004 Tri-Nations Kangaroo squad but was forced to withdraw due to injury. He bounced back in 2005, representing NSW before playing four Tests in the 2005 Tri-Nations.
In 2006, Barrett announced that he had signed a three year deal with English Club the Wigan Warriors, beginning in 2007.
In 2008, Barrett announced that he was returning to Australia and the NRL, and later signed a two-year deal with the Sharks beginning in 2009.
Jason Ryles

2000-08, 156 games (incl repl.). 13t (52pts)
Prop forward.
NSW rep (2002).
Aust rep (2001-2002 & 2004).
Born 1979, Wollongong.
Junior Clubs: Berkeley, Wests
First Grade Debut: Saints v Eels at Parramatta, May 14, 2000.
City (First Division) rep and 2001 and Country Origin Rep in 2001 & 2003.
Represented Australia, playing five Tests 2001-02.
One of the best props in the game, Ryles suffered a series of injuries in 2003 before undergoing a shoulder reconstruction in July.
He recovered to make a successful return to first grade in May 2004, and was selected for NSW in State of Origin 3.
In the same year, Ryles developed his offloads to near perfection and gained selection for Australia in the 2004 Tri-Nations series.
In 2005, Ryles was again selected for Australia and the Kangaroo tour of NZ, UK and France, playing in all five Tests during the Tri-Nations.
Went on to play rugby league in France.
Lance Thompson

St George Dragons: 1995-98, 69 games. 4t, 9g (34pts).
St George Illawarra Dragons: 1999-2005, 132 games. 20t, 8g (96pts)
TOTAL: 1995-2005, 201 games. 24t, 17g (130pts).
Second row forward.
Born: 16 Feb 1978, Sydney.
St George junior (Hurstville United).
First Grade debut: Saints v Cronulla at Caltex Field, June 24, 1995.
Played in 1996 and 1999 grand finals.
Represented City Firsts as captain in 2001. He also played for City Origin in 2003 and 2004.
Thompson declared his passion as a true clubman when he once exclaimed, "I would die for StGeorge"
Took a pay cut for 2004 so the club could re-sign other star players under the salary cap.
In 2004, following a series of stand-out performances, Thompson was named in NSW's 30-man State of Origin training squad.
Thompson played all 26 games (including two semi-final appearances) in 2005, often defying injury. He was contracted to play with Saints in 2006 but a much publicised falling out with the club saw him released. Thompson signed with the Sharks for 2006.
Luke Bailey

2000-06, 119 games (incl repl). 7t (28pts).
Prop forward. Second row forward.
NSW rep (2002-05).
Aust rep (2003-04).
Born in Port Kembla in 1980, Bailey is an Illawarra junior and played with Shell Harbour.
Competition's top tackler for 2003.
Selected for 2003 Kangaroo train-on squad and was certain to go on tour but had to withdraw due to ear surgery.
In 2003, Bailey was nominated for the club's Integral Energy Dragons Medal (won by Ben Hornby) and was awarded the club's Red V Members Player of the Year.
Following an outstanding effort in club football, Bailey gained selection for the Kangaroos in the Australia v New Zealand 'Anzac' Test match in 2004.
Bailey was set for further rep honours in 2004 with NSW and Australia, but a torn left chest muscle (pectoral) in May, and subsequent surgery, saw a major disruption to his season.
Bailey played an outstanding season in 2005 for the Dragons and NSW but an ongoing ear infection saw him withdraw from the Australian Tri-Nations squad.
In 2005, Luke Bailey won the St George Bank Dragons Medal, a gold medal awarded the club's best player.
Bailey played an outstanding 2006 season with the Dragons, hitting top form coming into the finals. But in 2007, at aged 27, Bailey signed to a four year deal to play for the re-newed Gold Coast Titans club.
Ben Hornby*

2000-08, 175 games (incl repl). 42t, 7g 2fg (184pts)
Utility back: Fullback. Halfback. Five eighth.
NSW rep (2004).
Born 1980 in Wollongong.
Junior Club: Corrimal Cougars.
First Grade debut for Saints July 8, 2000 (v Panthers at Penrith)
In 2003, Hornby was awarded the club's Integral Energy Dragons Medal (best and fairest) and is considered one of the most underated players in the NRL.
Following a exceptional start to the season at fullback, Hornby was selected for NSW in the 2004 State of Origin series.
Hornby played a number of matches as stand-in captain in 2004 and 2005. Also in 2005, Hornby won the club's Geoff Selby Memorial NRL Coaches Award.
In 2006, Hornby played all 27 matches for the Dragons, the only player in the squad to do so, playing mainly in the full back and half back positions.
In the same year he was named in the NSW side for State of Origin III.
Hornby capped off a tremendous 2006 season when he made his Test debut for Australia in that year's Tri-Nations series, Hornby being selected at half back against Great Britain in fourth Tri-Nations encounter.
In 2007, Hornby was named as co-captain (along with Jason Ryles and Mark Gasnier).
In 2008, Hornby captained the side three times and played in 24 first grade games. In May he was selected for NSW Country in that year's drawn City v Country Origin clash.
Also in 2008, Hornby was recalled into State of Origin for the NSW side, on the interchange bench for game 1.
In 2009, Hornby was named as club captain.
Hornby is currently contracted with the Dragons until the end of 2010.
Shaun Timmins

Illawarra Steelers: 1994-98, 86 games. 28t, 11g, 1fg (136pts)
St George Illawarra Dragons: 1999-2000 & 2002-2006, 124 games (incl repl.) 27t (108pts)
TOTAL: 1994-2000 & 2002-06, 210 games (incl repl). 55t, 11g, 1fg (243pts)
Born: 6 Aug 1976, Kiama, NSW and a graduate of Kiama High School.
A powerful runner and ruthless defender, Timmins was selected to play for NSW in 2000. He suffered a leg injury which revealed a condition, sidelining the State of Origin star for approximately 18 months.
He returned to the field in 2002 and showed tremendous ability to again represent NSW and then Australia in the July Test match against Great Britain.
He was named the club's best player in 2002.
In 2003, after just one match at five eighth for Saints, Timmins gained further rep honours when selected at five eighth for NSW.
Unfortunately, Timmins was unable to join the Kangaroo Tour of 2003 due to ongoing knee problems. He has had five knee operations.
Following another comeback from injury, Timmins once again stamped his authority on the competition, gaining selection for the Kangaroos in the 2004 'Anzac' Test match between Australia and New Zealand.
In the same year, Timmins was selected for NSW and was named man-of-the-match in Origin 1 after kicking the winning field goal in extra time.
Following the 2004 Kangaroo tour of Great Britain, France and the USA, Timmins announced his retirement from representative football, stating that he would be focussing on winning a premiership with the Dragons.
In 2005, Timmins played 25 first grade matches (out of 26) including two semi-final appearances.
In 2006, Timmins overcame injuries to play 11 first grade matches and feature in the Dragons charge into the finals. In both the 2005 and 2006 seasons, Saints fell one game short of qualifying for the grand final.
In late 2006, with ESL and Gold Coast contracts put away, the 30-year-old Timmins eventually took doctor's advice and announced his retirement from the game.
Shaun Timmins played a number of matches as stand-in captain.

* Current Dragons player

This page is often updated - for addfitions or errors, please feel free to email: [email protected]